Wednesday, December 14, 2011
15 Reasons Why You Need This Pie. (Dulce De Leche, Chocolate, and Sea Salt)
1. You need this pie because your tree is already turning brown.
2. You need this pie because you've spent more time stressing about shopping than actually shopping.
3. You need this pie because it won't give you a hangover like the eggnog did. Or the Christmas-tinis you made to get yourself in the mood to wrap presents but just put you in bed by 9.
4. You need this pie because you haven't sent out Christmas cards yet.
5. You need this pie because you haven't bought Christmas cards yet.
6. You need this pie because your cat crapped on a present that took you 45 minutes to wrap because you have the dexterity of an embryo and can't afford gift wrapping.
7. You need this pie because of what happened in the Target parking lot yesterday.
8. You need this pie because you just ran out of wine.
10. You need this pie because not only do you need to get all of your nieces and nephews Christmas presents but also birthday presents for the past 5 years.
11. You need this pie because you just placed your order without realizing you had a coupon.
12. You need this pie because your dog just ate the cat poop off the present under the tree.
13. You need this pie because you just ran out of vodka.
14. You need this pie because by God you're going to find the holiday spirit somehow, someway, even if it means shoving it into your mouth.
15. You need this pie because it's Christmas.
Merry Christmas, Y'all!
The 'Merry Christmas' Pie (Dulce de Leche, Chocolate and Sea Salt)
1 store bought, refrigerated pie crust, blind baked and cooled
1 (13.4 oz) can dulce de leche (to make it more pourable, you can scoop it into a microwave proof bowl and heat up for 10 seconds or so)
Chocolate Pudding Layer:
3 Tbs cornstarch
1 Tbs unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup half-and-half
1 1/4 cups milk [I used skim milk, because that's what I had on hand. It came out delicious. Use what you like.]
1 cup sugar
4 oz unsweetened chocolate, chopped
2 Tbs unsalted butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups sweetened whipped cream (add 1/4 cup confectioners sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla), or Cool Whip
Chocolate shavings, for garnish
1/4 teaspoon sea salt, optional
Pour the dulce de leche into the baked and cooled pie crust, spreading or swirling around to create an even layer. Set aside while you make the pudding.
In bowl, whisk cornstarch, cocoa powder, and salt; whisk in half-and-half. In saucepan, heat milk, sugar and chocolate over medium heat, stirring, to melt chocolate. Whisk in half-and-half mixture. Cook, whisking, until filling begins to bubble; cook, whisking, until very thick, 1 minute. Off heat, whisk in butter and vanilla. Spread over the dulce de leche layer in the prepared crust; cover with plastic wrap (laying it over the pudding so no ugly 'skin' forms. Chill thoroughly, at least 4 hours.
Remove the pie from the fridge. Spread the whipped cream (or Cool Whip) over. Garnish with shaved chocolate, and sea salt and serve right away. If not eating/serving the whole pie right away, do not add the salt over the pie but sprinkle over individual slices so you don't make the topping watery when store in the fridge.