Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Lemony Grilled Chicken with Avocado and Orange Salsa



I've been very inconsistent lately. A bad blogger. Boo on me. There are many reasons for this (work, planning vacation, True Blood reruns) but the honest to God's truth is I've been striking out in the kitchen. Does this ever happen to you? I mean I've definitely had my share of duds on the stove top but not a whole string of them in a row. I was going to share some of these culinary disasters but decided not to. Life's too short to waste lamenting crap recipes.

This is the recipe that helped me get my groove back. The 'salsa' is heavily borrowed/inspired by one of Giada's and it was originally meant to be served over fish (the fish at the Randall's fish counter terrified me so I made a last minute decision to switch to chicken.) I actually loved the salsa with chicken but while we were eating, Kris leaned over to say how amazing he thought it was and then, in a trying-to-be-casual manner politely suggested it might be even better over fish. Okay Giada. Okay.

Coriander Scented Grilled Chicken with Avocado and Orange Salsa

Chicken and Marinade:
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
2 bay leaves
1/2 teaspoon coriander
dash of garlic powder
juice of 1 lemon, plus the roughly chopped spent lemon
2 tablespoons olive oil
healthy pinch salt and pepper

Combine bay leaves, coriander, garlic powder, lemon juice and chopped up remains, olive oil, salt and pepper in a large ziploc. Mix to combine then add the chicken. Refrigerate for 8 hours, flipping over halfway through.

Remove from fridge half an hour before grilling.

Prepare a stovetop or gas grill by oiling grates, then turning to medium heat. Once hot, remove the chicken from the marinade, shaking off excess and add to the grill. Grill for 4 minutes (or until grill marks appear) then carefully flip over. Season with salt and pepper and continue grilling the second side for 5 minutes or so until cooked through.

Let rest for five minutes, then serve with the salsa spooned over and rice as a side dish (you can doll up the rice with chopped green onion, red onion, cilantro, etc.)

Avocado and Orange Salsa:
zest of 1 orange
zest and juice of 1 large lemon
2 oranges, peeled and segmented
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1/4 cup minced flat leaf parsley
1 scallion, chopped
2-3 teaspoons capers, rinsed
1 avocado, cut into chunks
2 tablespoons olive oil
salt and pepper, to taste

Combine all gently together in a medium bowl. Serve over grilled chicken OR fish. Serve with rice if desired.

4 comments:

AllThingsYummy said...

yum, love the orange/avocado combination.

Unknown said...

I have been watching True Blood Season 1 this whole week and loving every minute of it! I also had a dud of a cooking over the weekend, glad you got your groove back.

Ali said...

what a pretty and colorful dinner. It looks delish. I enjoyed Trueblood too! Altho I no longer get HBO so I can't watch any reruns. :(

Velva said...

I have struck out in the kitchen many times, its all part of the cooking experience-there are days, when the groove just isn't there...I think that is part of the experience too. :-)

This looks like an awesome dish. This dish is screaming South Florida to me.

Velva