Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Table for One - Hoisin Marinated Chicken over Roasted Green Onions and Peppers


Eating alone can be tricky. Sometimes I use it as an opportunity to cook and eat the things only I like, basking in the selfish indulgence of it all. For me that's angel hair pasta (Kris hates), roasted fennel (he really hates) and butternut squash pizza (he's insane - I love him but I'm sorry there's nothing better especially when bacon joins the party.) Other times it seems like too much work to even heat up a pan for just one person. The only problem is I still want a good meal...

Good thing I discovered this little number. A simple roast chicken dish with barely any work and zero cleanup. The chicken marinates in Hoisin, cilantro, lime, and sesame oil then roasts in the oven (on aluminum foil for easy clean up) while the veggies roast on another aluminum-lined tray so I can just throw away all that shiny paper afterwards and put my pans up as if nothing ever happened.

I expected a satisfactory meal but was surprised by a delicious one, proof that every once in a while it pays to be both lazy and selfish.

Hoisin Marinated Chicken over Roasted Green Onions and Peppers
* This is enough marinade for 1 large chicken breast cutlet or 2 small.
* Hoisin is such an incredible flavor booster - a confidant leader on the dance floor of marinading to the point that you could practically chuck in whatever you have on hand to enhance it - fresh ground ginger, a smashed garlic clove, etc. So don't panic if you don't have all the ingredients below. A sprinkle of garlic powder for example will work perfectly well in place of a garlic clove, etc.

Ingredients:
1/3 cup Hoisin
good pinch fresh cracked pepper
good pinch sea or kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon Chinese Five Spice powder
handful of fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
handful of fresh chopped green onions
1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
juice of 1/2 lime (I chuck the whole thing in)
1 garlic clove, smashed
Fresh chopped green onions for garnish

1-2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, or double recipe if cooking more

Directions:
Mix all ingredients together and place in a ziploc along with the your chicken breasts. Marinate in the fridge for at least 8 hours or overnight. Remove from the fridge half an hour before cooking, preheating your oven to 375. Take chicken out of the marinade gently shaking off excess cilantro/herbs/garlic but letting marinade remain. Place on a greased baking sheet lined with aluminum foil and lightly sprinkle with salt.

Bake for 25 minutes then lower heat to 325 and bake another 5-7 minutes until cooked through. Serve over roast veggies and garnish with green onions.

Roast Veggies - Add a sliced bell pepper (1/4" thick slices) and 3-4 green onions (cut into 3-4" sections) to an aluminum-lined baking sheet. Toss with vegetable oil (or canola oil or plain olive oil) and salt and pepper. Roast in the oven along with the chicken - about 30 minutes. I love this because the thin parts of the green onions get crispy and almost chip-like and the thicker sections become soft and meaty.

13 comments:

La Bella Cooks said...

Oh boy, I love the flavor oh Hoisin! This meal looks fantastic.

Anonymous said...

This looks fantastic! I love the smaller portion too :)

Unknown said...

Oh Alisa..you always know the way to my heart!!! I love love love Hoisin...I will definitely be trying this one!! I love the ease of it too! Fantastic find :)

Chef Bee said...

Love Hoisin. My whole family would love this recipe and it's so pretty too.

Plan B

Karen said...

It definitely pays to be lazy and selfish when you get a plate like this out of it! Wow...this really looks great! The flavors sound bold and so delicious.

lisa is cooking said...

I love finding quick meals that are big on flavor, and this one sounds great! Also, it just occurred to me that I don't use Chinese five spice powder nearly often enough.

Unknown said...

You always cook with flavors I LOVE!

What a great, simple, flavorful way to cook up plain old chicken breast! I'll try this one soon! (Would be good on fish too, like salmon or halibut :)

Thanks!

Erica said...

This looks delicious and sounds fantastic!Love the marinade!

blackbookkitchendiaries said...

this look pretty irresistable:) yum!

Diana's Cocina said...

This looks and sounds delicious. Perfect for dinner tonight sice it's just one!

Reeni said...

I am loving the Asian flavors here! It pays to be selfish sometime!

Angie's Recipes said...

Hoisin sauce is delicious used as a marinade or a dip. This looks really tempting.

angicoock said...

Fantastic.
Perfect for dinner
Thanks!