Sunday, September 19, 2010

Oktoberfest Pork Cutlets With Vinegar Infused Pan Sauce and a CSN Review


Fall. The very word makes me happy. What is it about this particular season? The cooler weather? The promise of the holidays ahead? Or maybe a return to heartier, richer meals. I would venture to say all of the above. And as I prepare for the change in seasons (we're still in the nineties here) I realize I'm lacking a few essential kitchen utensils. Namely a roasting pan for a holiday turkey (my cheapie one turned black last year and had to be thrown away.) As luck would have it my dear friends at CSN Stores have contacted me to do a review of one of their products so hopefully soon I'll have the new Viking Roaster I've been lusting after or some other goodie to tell you about. As you may remember, CNS has over two hundred online stores where you can buy everything from high end cookware and designer clothes to cheap bedroom furniture and wall art.

I find myself spending an unhealthy amount of time on their cookware site (lots of items even come with free shipping) as well as All Modern as we're still getting settled in our new place. But no matter what you're looking for if you have the urge to window shop or even restock your own kitchen for the holidays, be sure to check out one of their stores.

Now onto today's recipes. I have to admit the idea of vinegar in a pan sauce wasn't something I appreciated until recently. This tangy pan sauce isn't too tart though so I urge you to try it. While I love the idea of slow cooking a hearty Oktoberfest roast in beer all day, my schedule hasn't allowed me to so I came up with this recipe to satisfy my craving for fall flavors in a hurry. Don't laugh at the teensy amount of anchovy paste...I'm still expanding my palate and this gives the sauce that certain something without alarming any of the other meat and potatoes eaters at the table.

Happy fall y'all!

Oktoberfest Pork Cutlets With Vinegar Infused Pan Sauce
* Serves 4 light eaters or 2 hungry people, I'd recommend serving a starch or salad alongside.

Ingredients:
4 thin boneless pork cutlets (the kind you buy by the 4 pack, already sliced thin - about 1/4 inch thick)
3 tablespoons butter, separated
2 teaspoons olive oil
salt and pepper
garlic powder
8 oz mushrooms, stems removed and quartered
4 slices of red onion, cut to 1/4 inch thick
1/2 cup dry white wine or vermouth
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon whole dijon mustard
1/8 teaspoon anchovy paste
Chopped flat leaf parsley, for garnish

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350.

Season both sides of the chops with salt and pepper. Melt 1 1/2 tablespoons butter and 2 teaspoons olive oil in a large rimmed skillet with a lid. Add chops and sear 3 minutes per side, just until light golden. Transfer to a baking sheet and bake at 350 for 8 minutes. Remove, tent with foil, and set aside while you get on with the sauce.

As soon as you remove the chops from the pan, add the onion slices to the same pan, seasoning with salt and pepper and garlic powder cook 5 minutes stirring a couple of times. Add the mushrooms, season them oh so lightly again with salt and pepper and saute, stirring frequently for about 8-10 minutes or until they've released their liquid and shrunken a bit.

Add the wine and vinegar and bring to a boil. Cook down for 2-3 minutes until reduced by half, then add in the mustard, anchovy paste, and 1 teaspoon of butter (add a tablespoon for a richer, less sharp sauce and less if you want more of a punch from the vinegar) stirring well. Return the pork chops to the pan along with any juices that may have collected, stirring them in and letting the chops reheat for 1-2 minutes.

Serve warm garnished with flat leaf parsley.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm with you as far as the word FALL making me happy. The only other word that may make me happier is Oktoberfest! This looks and sounds great - this is our kind of meal! Thanks!

Unknown said...

It's still in the 100's here...can't get into the fall spirit yet, but I'm trying so hard...and it does seem to be getting easier, especially when I see dishes like this!! Beautiful!!

Unknown said...

Your comment on the paste made me LOL, this looks great

Karen said...

Looks great! I've never tried vinegar in a pan sauce...I'll have to try it. Pan sauces are hard to beat.

Debra "Deb" Dresden Disney-Dior said...

Today I noticed small leaves were blowing across the ground, but I CAN'T figure out WHAT trees are losing their leaves? Trees in the desert aren't "overly dressed" to begin with. I must admit "fall in the desert" is NOTHING compared to fall in Pennsylvania. None-the-less, the weather DOES get cooler and it's nice to turn the oven on and bake. I DID place my order with CSN. Thanks, Alisa, for giving us the opportunity to win a CSN gift certificate. I appreciate being chosen as the first winner of "The Meat and Potatoes Foodie" giveaway. More than words can say. I chose the Staub Coq Au Vin 6 qt. Cocotte in Grenadine. I adore the rooster knob! It's to sigh for! Also, it's NOW on sale, cut by $75.04 and the shipping is FREE! I can't wait for it to arrive -- in about another month -- then, I'll christen it by preparing Alisa's Oktoberfest Pork Cutlets With Vinegar Infused Pan Sauce. Great recipe, Alisa! Thanks. :)
OMGoodness, I just read what I wrote and it's not hard to tell that the "Ambien" is working. Good night, all!

Velva said...

This is a beautiful autumn dish. A great hearty dish.

I am so ready to to open the windows and wear a sweater. You must live close to me as it is still in the 90's here too.

Joyti said...

It sounds like a really interesting recipe...with the vinegar and mushrooms and onions...perfect for fall.

Chef Bee said...

I love that we are heading into fall also but we are still pretty here. Funny how our meals change with the seasons.

Plan B

lisa is cooking said...

The pan sauce sounds delicious! I love a little spunky acidity in a sauce for meat.

blackbookkitchendiaries said...

this dish looks absolutely dreamy!