Friday, October 23, 2009

Scary Picture Friday - Bacon Wrapped Figs with Manchego Cheese


So easy a Caveman could do it. (As an ad woman, I think I'll go to my grave jealous of not having created this campaign. Oh well...)

Figs are still going strong in the grocery stores, so take advantage and make these. Look for the ones that are soft to the touch and oozing their amber fig juice - disgusting to behold but delicious. My family looked at me like I had officially become a 'New Yorker' (and possibly even a card carrying member of the communist party) when I made these during my Texas trip. But as they baked off in the oven sending the smell of bacon and cheese throughout the house, all was forgiven and they quickly were eaten up.

This reconfirms my belief in what I call the 'hotdog theory'. If you ever saw what went into one before you ever tried it, think of all you'd have missed!

* Apologies for the especially horrendous picture - I took it with my iPhone on vacay. Bad idea.com

Bacon Wrapped Figs with Manchego Cheese
Serves 16.

Ingredients:
1 (8 slice) package bacon (preferably Applegate Farms 'Sunday' bacon)
8 fresh, ripe figs, stems removed and cut in half length-wise
1 medium block Manchego cheese, cut into 1x1 1/2 inch chunks

Instructions:
Preheat the oven to 400. Grease a large rimmed baking sheet liberally with nonstick spray and set aside.

Remove the bacon slices from the package and cut them directly in half, giving you 16 mini slices. Place a wedge of cheese over the cut side of your fig, then wrap with the bacon slice so that the bacon overlaps on the non cut side (you won't have to put a toothpick through them this way.) Set in your prepared baking sheet, assembling the rest and spacing them evenly apart in the sheet.

Place in the center of the oven for 18-22 minutes, until the bacon looks a bit crisped around the edges and is cooked through. Wait a couple of minutes to cook before serving.

No comments: