Friday, February 13, 2009

Pumpkin Pie in February





You know, when I started this blog, I thought I'd be one of those organized people that posted seasonal recipes relevant to the time of year that people ate them. But you know what? I'm not organized. In fact it's a miracle I've bathed everyday this week, gotten myself to work each morning, and mustered the energy to post a recipe. And you know what else? I like to eat pumpkin pie for breakfast, not dessert. So if you want to get technical about things, this recipe is relevant any time of year.

Pumpkin Pie
* A quick note - I like a LOT of spices in my pumpkin pie. When my mother in law Charlotte asked me why my pie was so dark, I told her I usually up the spices recommended. Let's be honest - unless you're a professional baker - half your spices are probably in their twilight years, their flavor subdued by time and storage. But if by chance you are one of those despised, organized people who actually throws your unused spices away every six months, then please feel free to use a lighter hand. Freak.

Brown Sugar Pumpkin Pie
Adapted from The Martha Stewart Cookbook
Makes one 8 inch pie.

Ingredients:
1 store bought refrigerated pie crust
1 (15 oz) can pumpkin pie puree
3 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon Mexican vanilla extract, or plain vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375. Line an 8 inch pie plate with the rolled out pie crust, gently letting it settle into the plate. Trim and crimp the edges to your liking (I never take the time to make my pies pretty, but feel free to make little leaf shapes with the trimmed crust if you're into that sort of thing.) Put the readied crust into the fridge while you make the filling.

Combine the pumpkin puree with the rest of the ingredients in a medium bowl, either by hand or with the use of a hand mixer or Kitchen Aid until well blended. Pour into the prepared pie crust and bake for 50-55 minutes, or until the pie crust is nicely browned and the custard is set (no longer jiggles when gently shaken and/or comes out fairly clean when tested with a toothpick.) You may need to apply some aluminum foil around the edges of the crust midway through baking to prevent the crust from burning (or a 'pie shield' if you have it - the best $4 I've ever spent!) Let cool on a rack before serving. Store in the refrigerator.

No comments: