Friday, January 2, 2009

Nigella's Pan Seared Salmon with Mirin Soy Glaze



I have dreams about this salmon. When I first read the recipe in Nigella's Express cookbook, I had serious doubts it would work. Marinate for 3 minutes? Dump it all in the pan and then it's done?

Well, I guess there are little miracles in life. And for me, this is one of them...right next to the Marc Jacobs coat I got for Christmas;)

Mirin-Glazed Salmon
Serves 4.
Serve with rice and/or pan sauteed snap peas and/or asparagus and mushrooms for a complete meal.

Ingredients:
1/4 cup mirin (Japanese sweet rice wine)
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup soy sauce
4 (4 oz) pieces of salmon, preferably wild and cut from the thick part of the fillet so that they are narrow but tall rather than wide and flat)
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
1/2 scallions, halved

Directions:
Mix the mirin, sugar, and soy in a shallow dish that will hold all of the salmon and marinate the salmon in it for 3 minutes on the first side and 2 minutes on the second. Meanwhile, heat up a large non stick skillet on the stove over medium/high heat.

Cook the salmon (NON skin side first) in the hot, dry pan for 3 minutes (she says 2 but I like my salmon more cooked.) Turn it over, pouring in the marinade and cook for another 3 minutes.

Remove the salmon to your serving plate, and add the rice vinegar to the marinade still on the stove. Stir all together for a few seconds over medium heat until bubbly and 'sticky', then pour over the salmon and garnish with scallions.

1 comment:

foodbin said...

nice piece of salmon